Sweet potatoes are similar to regular potatoes, but their taste is sweet.
You can find these in different colors, but we all love our orange sweet potatoes. Japanese are crazy for their purple sweet potatoes.This veggie is abundant in antioxidants and essential nutrients.
10 facts about sweet potatoes:
- Sweet potatoes are recommended to diabetics, as they regulate sugar levels, and control insulin resistance.
- Fiber in sweet potatoes enhances digestion and cleanses the body.
- Vitamin A regenerates your respiratory tract, which makes it essential for smokers.
- Vitamin D strengthens teeth, bones, skin, and heart. It boosts energy and optimizes the function of your thyroid gland.
- Sweet potatoes dispense potassium, and protect heart. This mineral reduces the harmful effect of sodium. Potassium regulates blood pressure and balances electrolytes.
- Potassium reduces swelling and cramps. It relaxes muscles and regulates your heartbeat.
- Beta-carotene prevents the development of arthritis, asthma and gout. It protects lungs, and inhibits the growth of breast cancer cells.
- Folic acid is important for the development of babies, so every pregnant woman should boost its intake.
- Sweet potatoes are rich in vitamin C.
- Boil sweet potatoes, and use the water to treat skin irritations. It unclogs pores and removes impurities.