Replacing your old light bulbs with eco-friendly energy-saving bulbs will sure support your family budget. But, what you don’t know is that the latest bulbs are dangerous and toxic.
The United States Protection Agency issued an emergency protocol that should be employed in case of breaking one of the toxic bulbs, because they are filled with toxic gas.
If one of these bulbs breaks in your rom, it will release 20 times more mercury than the allowed concentration.
A group of scientists at the Frauhofer Wilhelm Klauditz Institute did a project managed by the German Federal Environment Agency. According to their findings, these bulbs can cause:
- Inability to focus and concentrate
- Dizziness and disorientation
Many experts agree with these findings, and some say that energy-efficient light bulbs can also cause cancer.
Mercury in light bulbs is a neurotoxin that is dangerous for pregnant women and children. It affects the function of your liver, brain, nervous system, and kidneys. It’s associated with health problems of the reproductive, immune, and cardiovascular system.
Mercury can also cause memory loss, tremors, insomnia, and Alzheimer’s disease.
These light bulbs release UV rays, UV-C, and UV-B radiation. This is dangerous for your skin and vision. The radiation affects the immune system and skin, as it inhibits the synthesis of vitamin D3.
Another study by Peter Braun at Alab Laboratory in Berlin said that these bulbs are packed with carcinogens like:
Styrene –A liquid hydrocarbon and petroleum byproduct
Naphthalene – An unstable substance with white crystalline structure that forms during the distillation of coal tar. It’s often used in chemical production and mothballs.
Phenol – An acidic toxin with white crystalline structure. It is obtained from coal tar, and producers use it in the chemical industry
Other included sources linked in Living Traditionally’s article: